Friday, October 15, 2010

Tracksuit pants in public

I have been looking forward to James joining a mothers and babies group for a while. I'm not really sure what I expected from it, possibly an immediate group of like minded mommy friends but more likely 2 hours where someone or something else entertains James.

As a result on Thursday morning I leapt out of bed and flung my cupboard doors wide to survey my options. Ok I actually crawled out of bed at around 5 to shove a dummy in James' mouth before trying to hide under a pillow in the hope that my husband would miraculously grow boobs and be forced to feed James but let's stick to the leaping for now.

What would it be? Sissy Boy Jeans, Monsoon frilly top and some Kurt Geiger platforms should complete the Yummy Mummy look I was going for. The extra 15odd kgs attached to my frame however felt otherwise. 2 dummy runs, a size 40 pair of Woolies tracksuit pants and an old pregnancy top and I at least was ready. My Sissy Boy size 34 jeans smirked back at me but with an Aero in my hand for breakfast I knew where they could stick it. Right diet starts today. Straight after breakfast.

Clearly it behoved me to dress James up in his best clothing. If I was going to arrive dressed like I lived in a trailor he would have to carry the team. It's a heavy responsibility for a 5 month old but he's very advanced. I know this you see because I am his mother and all mothers know their children are advanced. I digress.

Decked out in his Sunday best we arrived at the class only 15 minutes late and secured the last beanbag with what looked like a cactus ball on it. James was suitably unfazed and began to eat the ball and fart loudly. The other mothers looked at the newcomers with a faint aura of hostility.

90 minutes later though I must admit it was well worth it. James had a ball. We left covered in some sort of non dairy cream and sand in all his crevices. There was a fair amount of cream in my hair too. I looked at the other mommies in the class - at least 2 of which were in designer jeans and stilletos as they gingerly held their babies over the sandpit and tried to avoid contact and thought that maybe, just this once, tracksuit pants were worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment